10 Methods For Detoxifying Your Body
Do you feel out of sync or sluggish? Are you struggling with digestive problems, aches and pains or skin problems? Are you having a hard time losing weight? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then it may be time for you to have a body detox.
Detoxification has been practiced by cultures all over the world for centuries, including Chinese and ayurvedic medicine. It is about cleaning, resting and nourishing your body, starting from the inside and working its way out. By eliminating and removing toxins, and then providing healthy nutrients to your body, the detoxification process can help prevent disease and improve your bodyís ability to maintain an optimum level of overall health.
How does the detoxification process work?
Detoxification basically refers to cleaning your blood. Impurities are removed from the blood inside your liver. This is where toxins are processed and then eliminated. Toxins are also eliminated through your skin, lungs, lymph, kidneys and intestines. However, when you have a compromised systems, impurities are not filtered properly and every cell in your body is affected negatively.
The natural cleansing process of your body can be helped by a detox program through:
1. Resting your organs via fasting.
2. Driving toxins out of your body by stimulating the liver.
3. Promoting elimination via the skin, kidneys and intestines.
4. Improving blood circulation.
5. Providing healthy nutrients to the body to refuel it.
According to Peter Bennett, N.D. and co-author of the book 7-Day Detox Miracle with Sara Faye and Stephen Barrie, N.D., the detoxification process works because the needs of individual cells are addressed, which are the smallest units making up human life.
How can you tell if you should detoxify?
Bennett recommends that everybody should detox once a year at least. However, he doesnít recommend detoxing for children, nursing mothers or patients who have tuberculosis, cancer or chronic degenerative diseases. If you have any questions about whether you should detox or not, speak with your doctor or health care provider.
According to Linda Page, Ph.D., N.D., the environment has more toxins in it than ever more. She says that detoxing is critical and recommends the process for symptoms like:
Bags under your eyes or puffy eyes
How do you begin the detox process?
First, lighten the number of toxins you take in. Eliminate saturated fats, refined sugars, cigarettes, coffee and alcohol. These all act as toxins inside your body and can obstruct your healing process. You should also minimize the use of personal health care products (toothpastes, deodorants, shampoos and cleansers) as well as chemical-based household cleaners. Use natural alternatives instead.
Stress is another thing that deters good health. It triggers the release of stress hormones into your bodyís system. Although your body can be provided with an ìadrenaline rushî by these hormones to meet a deadline or win a race, they create toxins when there are large amounts of them that slow down your liverís detoxification enzymes. Meditation, Quiqong and yoga are all effective and simple ways of relieving stress. They reset your mental and physical reactions to the stress that you will inevitably get from life.
Which detox program is the best one for you?
There are so many different detox recipes and detoxification programs that are available. The best one for you will depend on what your individual needs are. Many programs have a 7-day schedule. According to Bennett, this is because it takes time for your body to clean the blood. Bennettís program includes two days of fasting on liquid, then a five-day carefully-planned detox diet that allows your digestive system to rest. A 3-7 day juice fast is recommended by Linda Page (where you only drink water as well as fresh vegetable and fruit juices) to effectively release toxins from your body.
Here are five of our favorite detox diets:
1. Hypoallergenic Detox
2. Sugar Detox
3. Juice Cleanse
4. Smoothie Cleanse
5. Simple Veggie and Fruit Detox
Here are 10 methods to help your body with the detoxification process.
After completing a detoxification program, use the following lifestyle practices, supplements and diet methods to cleanse your body on a daily basis:
1. Eat lots of fiber, including organically-grown fresh vegetables and fruits as well as brown rice. Other very good detoxifying foods include seaweed, cholorella, spirulina, broccoli, cabbage, artichokes, radishes and beets.
2. Drink green tea and take herbs like milk thistle, burdock and dandelion root to protect and cleanse your liver.
3. Taking vitamin C will help your body produce the liver compound glutathione. It helps to drive toxins away.
4. Drink a minimum of two quarts of water every day.
5. Breathe deeply. This will let oxygen circulate through your system more thoroughly.
6. Emphasize positive emotions to transform stress.
7. Practice hydrotherapy. Take a very hot five minute shower. Let the water run down your back. Then for 30 seconds run cold water. Repeat this three times. Then spend 30 minutes in bed.
8. Get into a sauna and sweat. Your perspiration will eliminate wastes.
9. To remove toxins via your pores, try detox foot baths or foot spas and dry brush your skin. Natural products stores will carry these special brushes.
10. According to the Bennett, the most important thing you can do to detoxify is to exercise. Jumping rope and yoga are booth good. Exercise for one hour each day. You can also try out the martial-arts based exercise program called Qigong. It includes exercises that are specifically for cleansing or detoxifying, along with other exercises that have specific health benefits.